Glendale Stagecoach Inn on Beaver Creek

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Penrose Beaver & Northern Railroad 2


On 1 June 1909, the first passenger train roared into Penrose, with important visitors from Colorado Springs and Cripple Creek, with Spencer Penrose as their leader. The depot was located north of Penrose, and the tracks went through the downtown section, then over present day Highway 50 and on to the Denver and Rio Grande tracks by the Arkansas River, south of Penrose. This station was named Beaver.

The railroad did not make lots of money and only lasted for 10 years. By 1918, more automobiles were traveling over the roads and the production of fruits and vegetables was not as great.

No comments:

Post a Comment